Monday, January 12, 2009

Be Prepared!!

We have heard time and time again "Be Prepared". Make sure you have an emergency plan! For example if you were ever evacuated from your home. Well, Brian and I have never really talked about what would happen or made a plan so we did not have an evacuation plan this past Friday night when we were evacuated.

Brian had told me that he was working late, and I told Mindy that she could play at her friends house until 6:00 pm. I gave Josh a bath put clean diaper on him and he quickly ran down the stairs (in his diaper) and I gathered up some dirty clothes including the ones I was wearing I knew that I wasn't going anywhere so I slipped on a night gown. Turned the lights off and went downstairs and put the jeans in the wash. When I came upstairs I noticed it was almost 7:00 pm and Mindy was not home so I put on my big knee length parka and my snow boots and start walking towards where Mindy was playing when I was met by a police officer that asked politely if I could get my children and leave my house as quietly and as quickly as possible. Because of where my house was to the incident he advised me to not go upstairs for anything just get my kids and go.

I told him that my daughter was at a friends house and he said that they were in the process of evacuating the house that she was at and would hold Mindy just beyond the check point.

I ran in the house wrapped Josh in a blanket, grabbed his coat, his meds that were luckily on the kitchen table!! and my wallet. That was it, no contacts, no glasses, NO PANTS!

I picked Mindy up from the check point and started off to I decided my parents house when, I identified an odor coming from the back seat. Josh had done his business while I went to get his sister. So we stopped at Wal-Mart to get me some pants, Josh diapers, wipes and clothes because he was naked.

I must have looked the part of a domestic abuse victim. Because a Wal-Mart manager and a security employee approached me and asked if I needed help I explained the situation to them and after more of my half dressed neighbors came to get clothing and other supplies. My story checked out.

The stand off lasted 3 hours from start to finish and we were home by 9:30 pm. The only thing we were told was that. The Police went to serve an arrest warrant and the guy resisted arrest and was held up in his house with a gun. They were able to calm him down and he did go without a problem. No guns were fired but we did see a lot of guns (big guns). They were able to handle the situation quietly and without many people knowing what was happening. all of the vehicles were unmarked and they were all detectives in street clothes.

If you were to come upon the scene the cars blocking the road told cars coming into the area it was a gas leak and that they needed to leave the area.

Believe it or not this happens may times a day in every type of neighborhood lower, middle, upper etc... You don't see it on the news unless it is a famous person, lasts longer than 5 hours or SWAT is called in.

The moral of this story is always wear pants!!

No seriously learn from my mistake have an evacuation plan!

BE PREPARED!!!!!

No comments: